- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup (68 g) chopped chipotle in adobo sauce
- ¾ cup (125 g) red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups (960 ml) low-sodium vegetable stock
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- (680 g) sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (185 g) frozen corn
- 1 yellow squash, halved and sliced
- (125 g) can chopped green chilis
- (425 g) can whole tomatoes, drained & juice reserved
- (425 g) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (25 g) coriander, chopped (optional)
Directions: Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30-60 seconds, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn.
Add the chipotle, quinoa, vegetable stock, salt, turmeric, cinnamon, fresh ground pepper, and stir well. Cover and bring to a boil for about 7 minutes.
Lower the heat to a simmer, and add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 12 more minutes. Add corn, squash, green chilis, tomatoes, beans, and coriander and continue to simmer for about 7-8 more minutes. Let sit for a few minutes, and then ENJOY!
Note: this tastes even better the next day!
Seriously – try this for dinner tonight or tomorrow